Yesterday we went to dig up yet more clay, and mixed it up to make the final layer. The team put the final layer on the oven and we are proud to say that it even looks like a pizza oven!
The rest of the day, and today, have been spent patting the clay/sand mixture to massage it a bit to avoid cracking. Every few hours or so we have to re-pat out the mixture to stop the cracks. It seems to be working pretty well.
Then this afternoon we got a sudden downpour that rain-pocked the oven on one side so we patted this back out to a smooth surface too.
Now all that’s left to do is get a chimney, build the clay/sand up around the chimney, make a door, and light fires inside the oven every day for the next week to dry it out.